Since Sunday morning the population of MPV has atrophied.  Remaining are myself, Chuck, Lily(my dog) and Clover(Chuck’s dog).  Brooke, Liv & Greg have jetted to CA to be with Pat in her time of need.  We should all keep them in our thoughts. 

Luckily, we busied ourselves with wine ops all day and missed the Bronco game.  What an old school ass kicking they received!  When I arrived back from the strategic airport drop, Chuck decided to survey the property on the ATV and I headed to the cellar to complete the weeks inventory count.  A task I’ve recently decided to take on, it went smoothly.  Barrels, cases and bottles are my friend.

I met Chuck in the winery and we began to discuss the days operations as we punched down the Lodi Cab.  It completed primary fermentation and has entered an extended maceration phase.  We continue to punch/pump each day, probably lasting a week or so.   It’s cooling very slowly, which is good.  The plan is to press on Saturday; if we have a new batch of barrels by then.

The unsealable barrels are still just that, unsealable.  They have some beetle-bored holes around the caps.  Perfectly circumed craters that will not close.  Our broker is making good and trading those out for new ones Thursday, weather permitting.  Chuck went to Canyon Winds today and got 3 barrels. 

We added bacteria to the two stainless tanks holding our final Merlot pressing(along with the 1 barrel from that pressing), allowing them to begin malolactic fermentation.  Chuck deflated the inner tubes and lifted the lids as I sprinkled the freeze-dried powder equally across the wine’s static surface.

The Petit is also nearing the end of primary and we’ll allow it to enter extended maceration just like the Cab.  Since we caught it with a couple of brix remaining, we decided to add an enzyme which enhances the juice release from the skins.  After dumping the solution and hosing the pumpover, the wine was really agitated and released a wonderfuly pleasant aroma.  Good times!

After happy hour tonight we filled one of the CW barrels with the port experimentation.  Thinking we had 55 gallons, we were confident it would fit in one vessel.  As wine began spouting from the bung hole we re-evaluated our estimation.  A 15-gallon keg and 5-gallon carboy later we were done!  It’s not a bad thing to make more wine than originally thought.

After rearranging some 3-packs in the cellar(we now have the 3  DM Cab Sav together) and eating some leftover chili, we called it a night.  Weaving winery work around my corporate schedule is great, I love it!  Spilling wine on my pants, in my shoes and then mopping thick lees is my idea of a decompressing evening.  Really, I’m serious.  Tomorrow’s a day full of day job activity(a Lions Club meeting) and an after hours; so no wine ops for me.  I’m sure Chuck will keep himself busy.

Advertisements